What a day for sailing! Sun, wind gusting up to 14 knots, highly motivated competitors and helpers. Our hopes were met, the wind picked up for Auckland’s anniversary day so that all fleets were launched on time.
The sailors gave their best, were well disciplined so that all starts were clear and no time lost. After three exciting races the fleets hit the shore already around 2.00 pm. No protests were raised and the prize giving could go ahead without delay.
And to make this day a little more exciting – Alex Maloney, the Rio Silver Medallist presented the prizes.
Check here for results:
The 2017 Auckland Championships were a great event. It was not only the organisation, but also the spirit and a celebration of the effort that all of us put into the event. A big “Thank You” goes to:
- The sponsors, who provided their support not only for the regatta, but also throughout the season. Without you this event would not have been possible!
- The Auckland Council – for finishing a gigantic amount of work just in time and a beautiful space that we can share with the community
- The parents – For your children, who continue to amaze us.
- To the sailors – What a show you put on for us! Thanks for all your efforts, hard training, the fairness, stamina, and motivation you showed.
- The helpers – you made this regatta a memorable and fun event. Without your help, your willingness to jump in at any task that was thrown at you. You did all the small and big jobs with a smile on your faces. Without you, we truly would have been stuck!
- The organisers – most of all Amy Mulcahy, who did an outstanding job organising this regatta!
From Green straight to Open Gold Fleet: Naiomi Ferissey